Gushing almost 200,000 gallons per day, Boulware Springs is the centerpiece of a park that works as the western terminus of the Gainesville-Hawthorne Trail.

It is not a swimming spring, however it has a remarkable history, and still offers a home for turtles and other wildlife. The 1890s water supply that surround it are a National Historic Site.

Resources for exploring the location around Boulware Springs.

Area: GainesvilleTrailhead: 29.621302, -82.306106 Address: 3300 SE 15th St, GainesvilleFees: NoneRestroom: Inside the historic waterworksLand manager: City of GainesvillePhone: 352-334-5067.

Overview.

Open 7 AM to 6 PM Nov-Apr, 7 AM to 8 PM May-Oct. Leashed family pets welcome, but not in the structure.

Resources.

Gainesville ( 29.621302, -82.306106 ).

Disclosure: As authors and affiliates, we receive profits when you purchase these through our links. This helps us supply public details on this site.

Turtles are always seen at the spring.

Directions

Trail Map.

Boulware Springs trailhead, the western terminus of the Gainesville-Hawthorne Trail.

While the springs flow was as soon as greater, it is still within the series of a third magnitude spring.

The historical water supply as seen from above.

The parking lot near the waterworks is little, however makes it possible for access for you to climb up down into the basin and see the spring and the surrounding waterworks.

Outflow of Boulware Springs into a manufactured pond.
Abandoned by 1948, the waterworks were finally decommissioned in 1984.

Developing a set of brick reservoirs for the spring water to swimming pool in, the city tapped it with a pipeline in 1898 and fed it into the local water system.

.
From I-75 at Williston Rd at the south end of Gainesville, drive east on Williston Rd (SR 331), crossing US 441 after 4.3 miles. Continue around the curve past the western entryway to the protect and the traffic light. Turn right onto SE 4th St, which curves slightly to become SE 21st Ave
.
The primary entryway to Boulware Springs Park is the next one. There is parking near the picnic location or follow the entryway road all the method back for parking near the spring.

In 1905, the city dangled the carrot of free local water to draw in the University of Florida, which initially planned to put their campus in Lake City.

As the City of Gainesville began to grow, a local water source was required.

In addition to the spring, the park has a picnic grove between the park and the spring entryway.

As it was prior to it was tapped for municipal water, its outflow, which flows through an adjacent subdivision, now feeds Paynes Prairie. It is the only spring run feeding the meadow.

Restored by Gainesville Regional Utilities, the initial water supply surrounding the spring are now a National Historic Site.

A secondary entrance north of the primary entryway to Boulware Springs Park leads back to the main western terminus trailhead for the Gainesville-Hawthorne Trail.

About the Park.

Boardwalks let you come down into the spring basin and see the water supply.

To look after this requirement, the city bought Boulware Springs in 1891. It was just 2 miles southeast of downtown. The water formerly streamed right into Paynes Prairie.

The spring is in a deep basin listed below the picnic pavilions.

Boulware Springs trailhead and surrounding tracks.

The outflow of Boulware Springs goes into a man-made pond.

Explore More!

See our pictures of Boulware Springs Park.

All of the following tracks can be accessed from the trailhead at Boulware Springs Park. Simply follow the paved bike path out of the Gainesville-Hawthorne Trail terminus in the proper instructions.

Official Website.

Neighboring Adventures.

Slideshow.

More worth exploring while youre in this area.

Turn right on SE 15th St and continue a half mile to the park entrance. Skip the very first entrance unless youre headed to the Gainesville-Hawthorne Trail trailhead. The primary entrance to Boulware Springs Park is the next one. There is parking near the picnic location or follow the entrance road all the way back for parking near the spring.

Paths at Boulware Springs.

To take care of this need, the city acquired Boulware Springs in 1891.