A third teenager charged in the death of Canberra real estate agent Peter Keeley has admitted to kidnapping him but won’t face trial later this year as the murder case against him has been dropped.
Peter Keely was attacked by three 17-year-old boys charged with murder after being lured into bushland near the coastal town of Brouleigh in New South Wales on February 2, 2020. and died.
But after going to trial earlier this year, the first and second were acquitted of murder charges, and New South Wales Supreme Court Judge Michael Walton ruled that the 56-year-old died from methylamphetamine in his body. I decided it was likely.
However, the two pleaded guilty to aggravated kidnapping charges and admitted to detaining and assaulting him.
A third teenager did not participate in their trial and was due to face one of his own later this year.
But on Tuesday (July 19), he appeared in court and pleaded guilty to aggravated kidnapping charges, admitting that he and two others held Mr Keeley without consent to assault and humiliate him. rice field.
Prosecutor Nerissa Keyey said she would not pursue the third teen murder charge and called for his trial date, scheduled for November, to be cancelled.
She also called for three teenagers to be sentenced together, which she estimated would take a day.
Judge Walton has set a date for sentencing on August 24, but the court has also heard that scheduling issues related to the process could delay sentencing.
A cost hearing will also be held in September.
Agreed facts were filed in court covering the third teen’s behavior, but were not immediately available. region I didn’t know that he had pleaded guilty.
But in Walton’s ruling against the other two, the first teenager “lure” Mr Keely from Canberra to Brulee with “the promise of a sexual encounter” using gay dating app Grindr. said.
The teenage boy then allegedly saw a second teenage boy and discussed plans to tie up and beat Mr. Keely outside of town.
Mr. Keeley and a third teenager joined and drove into bushland where a second and allegedly third teen emerged from the bushes.
Judge Walton said Mr. Keely’s wrists and ankles were tied, his mouth was covered with duct tape, and he was assaulted.
The person who found Mr. Keeley’s body and called Triple Zero filmed a video, which was shown in court, showing him lying in a bush in a blue suit near his car.
Originally published in Riotact by Albert McKnight.